Skip to content Skip to navigation

Print Policies

8.1.1 Telecommunication Services

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This Guide Memo describes policies and responsibilities for the University's telecommunication systems. They apply only to relations among University departments and are inapplicable to transactions with outside communications suppliers and other entities and persons outside the University. The services described are available to all University and Hospital buildings on the campus, but exclude SLAC.

1. Administrative Responsibilities

a. Communication Services
Information Technology Services/Shared Services has responsibility for the design, operation, and maintenance of telecommunication services for all Stanford University and Hospital facilities.

(1) Telephone System
Shared Services operates the University-owned telephone system, providing service from the user's telephone jack (also called a telecommunication service outlet) up to the public network. Telephone services from any source, including SBC, are provided through the facilities of Shared Services.

(2) Network Systems
Shared Services operates the University backbone network, providing access to the University network (SUNET) and off-campus network services. Shared Services may also provide facilities and installation for local departmental networks through the Net-to-Jack program.

(3) Scope of Service
The University telephone system and network operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, providing continuous service for the campus. Shared Services maintains these systems at the highest level of private branch exchange (PBX) service continuity. Departments that require total uninterrupted telephone or data communication services are responsible for working with Shared Services to plan, install, and maintain separate emergency backup services.

(4) Consulting
Shared Services provides consulting service to advise departments about the best use of telecommunication services and on-campus facilities, and to assist departments in ordering new services, changes to current configurations, or moves of existing service.

b. Departmental Responsibilities
Deans, department heads, project directors, and other administrative officers are responsible for managing telephone expenditures (see Guide Memo 3.2.1: Authorizing Expenditures. Each department should appoint a responsible individual to act as a liaison with Shared Services. This person is the department's contact.

(1) Contact Responsibilities
The contact is responsible for:

  • Reviewing the monthly ITSS statement to validate all charges made to the department's accounts. Copies of the ITSS statement are sent online to the contact and may be reviewed online using the IT Services web site.
  • Ordering new service or any service changes for the department. The contact should have signature authority for committing telecommunication expenditures for the department.

(2) Support for Contact
Shared Services maintains departmental assigned contacts online. These individuals receive regular information mailings from Shared Services and notification of potential outages affecting service to their department. Regular training is provided for individuals newly appointed to be the contact for their department. For information on contact training, or to notify Shared Services of a change in the named contact, call Shared Services at 5-HELP.

Back to top

2. Facilities and Equipment

a. System Equipment
The telephone and network and associated peripheral equipment are maintained by Shared Services. All maintenance on the telephone line or switched data line is performed by Shared Services up to the end user's jack. Installation of new telephone or switched data lines as well as repairs or extensions to current lines may be performed only by Shared Services authorized personnel.

b. Departmental Equipment Ownership
The end users' telecommunications equipment from the jack out is the responsibility of end users and their departments. This equipment includes line cords, telephone sets, modems, or other telecommunication terminals. This equipment is selected and owned by the end user's department. Shared Services recommends a number of telephones and other telecommunication terminals that work well in the University and Hospital environments. Uniformity in telephone equipment is desirable to provide the end user with ease of use from one telephone to another, quick access to services and easy training in equipment usage.

c. Departmental Equipment Maintenance
Shared Services provides:

  • Installation service for telephone sets
  • End user training for the sets it recommends
  • Maintenance for its supported telephone sets (on a cost recovery basis)

Departments may make arrangements to purchase telephone sets from Shared Services, or may purchase any compatible equipment from other sources. Each department is responsible for securing its own set maintenance, whether from Shared Services for its supported telephone sets, or from other sources.

d. Conduit and Cable Facilities
The conduit and cable system for all telecommunications on the campus is managed by Shared Services. Shared Services maintains records of all telephone and other telecommunication services on the campus, including outside cable and conduit as well as in-building wiring up to the individual jack. Requests for the use of any of these facilities must be made through Shared Services and associated costs for installation, service activation, and continuing use paid by the requesting department.

e. Building Wiring Facilities
The University has adopted a standard for communications wiring to support current and future communication requirements within its buildings. (Refer to Facilities Design Guide Division 17–Communication Services.  All new and remodeled structures must use this standard as a minimum. Shared Services reviews all plans for communication wiring and must approve installation of wire (or other communication media) up to the jack. Departments may choose to install their own communication facilities within buildings, but such installation is incremental to the standard inside wiring managed by Shared Services. No department may use the University's inside wire plant without the consent of Shared Services, and payment of appropriate fees for maintaining records of this use, and for any installation or activation charges.

Back to top

3. Privacy and Usage Policies

a. Intended Telephone Usage
Business telephone facilities are provided for conducting the official business of the University. The system is designed for this purpose. All costs are charged to the department authorizing usage.

b. Personal Telephone Usage
Each department or organization should set guidelines as to personal telephone calls. The department must be reimbursed for the cost of all personal toll calls and long distance calls on the University's business telephone lines. Public telephones are generally available for personal calls.

c. Information About Phone Usage
Any department may, through its appointed contact, request information about billable calls placed on its telephone lines. Information about these calls, including call destination, telephone line used, call duration, and authorization code used, is supplied only to the contact or to the department head. When a department suspects abuse of its telephone lines or authorization codes, it may request that information about such usage be supplied to appropriate Stanford disciplinary and review bodies and persons.

d. Call Tracing
If a department receives threatening or abusive telephone calls, the contact for that department may request that Shared Services trace the source of incoming calls. Such a trace can provide information about calls placed from other campus telephones. Any trace is reported to the Stanford Public Safety Department and the information from a trace is provided only to the Public Safety Department. To request a trace of calls placed from off-campus requires a court order delivered to SBC, which must be arranged through the Stanford Public Safety Department.

e. Monitoring Call Activity
If patterns of telephone usage on any line indicate the possibility of system abuse (such as multiple attempts to discover an active authorization code), Shared Services monitors and reports on the activity of that line, including call destination, in an attempt to discover the individual making such calls.

f. Recording Conversations
Shared Services does not place a recording on any telephone line conversation, unless under court order. Any department that wishes to record telephone conversations must follow California State law relating to recording conversations.

Back to top

4. Financial Responsibility

a. Departmental Phone Lines
The ordering department is responsible for all charges associated with the telephone line, including:

  • Activation costs for the line
  • Monthly service charges for the line and its associated features
  • Maintenance of any equipment attached at the jack
  • Charges for any user-caused damage to the jack or line or telephone system (such might be caused by faulty equipment or other electronic equipment connected to the jack)
  • Incoming collect calls accepted at the telephone set
  • Local area calling charges, if applicable to the line
  • Charges for calls placed from the line and not validly charged to either a departmental or a residential authorization code. Any billable call placed using an authorization code for which the owner of the authorization code disputes the validity of the charges becomes the liability first of the account that ordered the authorization code, and second of the account paying the charges for the line from which the call was placed. Where line activity cannot be controlled, departments should select calling ability on the sets that will disallow billable calls.

b. Departmental Authorization Codes
Authorization codes are randomly assigned numbers issued to individuals through their departments in order for departments to authorize long distance calls as well as track charges for billable calls. The department is liable for all charges for any calls placed using that code. The individual to whom the authorization code is issued is responsible for the confidentiality of that code and should not share the code with any other person, nor use the code to place unauthorized calls.

c. Departmental Calling Cards
Calling cards from long-distance carriers are issued to individuals through their departments for placing calls when off the campus and charging them directly to the University. Calling cards are available from Shared Services, with all charges incurred from their usage billed to the requesting department on the monthly ITSS statement.

The requesting department is liable for all charges for any calls placed using that calling card. The individual to whom the calling card is issued is responsible for the security of the card.

d. Departmental Data Lines
The ordering department is responsible for all charges associated with the data line, including:

  • Activation costs for the line
  • Monthly service charges for switched data lines
  • Monthly maintenance charges for point-to-point circuits; or the department may elect to maintain these circuits itself
  • Responsible care for any line driver equipment connected to the circuit that is provided to the department by Shared Services

Back to top

5. Ordering and Billing Procedures

a. Telephone or Data lines
(1) Communication Services Order Form
Contacts may order new telephone or data lines, or changes to existing lines on the online Communication Service Order (CSO) form or using the IT Services web site.
(2) Consultation on Orders
Shared Services provides consulting assistance in ordering new or changed service. Basic consulting is available 9:00 a.m.–noon and 1:00 p.m. –4:00 p.m. on workdays by calling 5-HELP. For large project moves, a communication system analyst is assigned to work with the contact to order service.
(3) Order Queries
For update status on submitted CSOs, contact the Communication Services Order Processing Center at 5-HELP.

b. Authorization Codes and Calling Cards
Contacts may request authorization codes and calling cards for individuals in the department. Contacts must request cancellation of codes and calling cards if the individual leaves the department.

Requests for new codes or cards, cancellations, or account number changes for codes and cards should be made via the online CSO. For further assistance, call 5-HELP.

c. Billing
All ITSS charges to departments appear on a monthly online statement. Contacts should review monthly ITSS statements to ensure that authorization codes are being used for approved calls and that all other charges are correct. Questions about items that appear on an ITSS statement should be directed to the Shared Services Account Center at 5-HELP. Resolution of billing disputes requires submission of an online HelpSU request no more than 21 days after the statement is available online.

d. Payment Policy
Statement balances for students, on-site vendors, Stanford West, and General Accounts Receivable collections are due upon receipt; payments must be received by the 19th of the month in order to be reflected on the next month's statement. Non-payment of balances is treated as any other University debt and could result in:

  • Loss of service: Stanford can and will disconnect service when payment is more than 60 days late. Any past-due charges and fees must be paid in full before ITSS will reactive service; additional reactivation charges will also apply.
  • Hold placement: Stanford can and will withhold student registration privileges, diplomas, and transcripts for overdue accounts.
  • Collection actions: Stanford can and will initiate collection actions when payment is more than 60 days late for all except active students. This can adversely affect credit rating.
  • Active students' unpaid balances will be assigned to a collection agency within 60 days after the student has left the University.
  • Resolutions of billing disputes require submission of an online HelpSU request no more than 21 days after the statement with the disputed charges was mailed.

Back to top

8.1.2 Mail Services

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This Guide Memo describes mail services provided to the University by both the U.S. Post Office and internal interdepartmental mail services.


This Guide Memo was approved by the Vice President for Land, Buildings & Real Estate.


This policy applies to all Stanford University employees and students.

1. U.S. Mail Service

a. Incoming Mail
(1) Campus Mail—U. S. Mail for campus departments is received and sorted at the U. S. Post Office, Palo Alto. Mail carriers deliver mail once a day to departmental building delivery points.
(2) Medical Center—U. S. Mail for the Hospital, patients, and the School of Medicine is received and sorted at Stanford Health Care mail services and delivered on the same schedule as Interdepartmental (ID) Mail (see 2.b(2)).
(3) SLAC—A U.S. Postal Service (USPS) carrier delivers mail to the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (SLAC) once a day.
(4) Post Office Boxes—Mailbox rentals at the Post Office are serviced Monday through Saturday.

b. Outgoing Mail
(1) Pickup Point—
Carriers pick up mail at delivery points as a courtesy to customers. Because of limited capacity by the mail carrier, large outgoing mailings may not be picked up. U.S. Post Office mailboxes are provided throughout the campus for outgoing mail. Collection hours are posted on each box.
(2) Preparation of Materials—Departments can save on delivery time by separating stamped material from metered material and by further sorting the material into letters, big envelopes and packages. Metered mail must be bundled by separate classes of mail with all addresses facing the same way. Medical Center metered mail to be picked up by Stanford Health Care mail services must also have the mail metering reference number marked on the top piece of each bundle. For more information about mail metering reference numbers, contact Stanford Health Care mail services.
(3) Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods—Departments must not use U.S. Mail for shipment of biological or other hazardous materials, including dry ice. All shipments of hazardous materials/dangerous goods must be prepared and shipped only by trained and certified individuals. Additional information and assistance are at
(4) Postal Information—Information about postage rates, classes of mail, and general regulations for domestic and foreign mail may be obtained at the Post Office and at

c. Format for Stanford Addresses
A complete return address must be given for all correspondence. The electronic equipment for sorting mail scans the last two lines of the address. For fastest delivery, the preferred format for campus address information is:

Line 1. Person's Name
Line 2. Stanford University
Line 3. Department, Building and Room Number
Line 4. Street Address
Line 5. Stanford, CA 94305-nnnn (Zip+4)

Avoid putting "Stanford University" in the last two lines. If Stanford University appears in either of the last two lines, the mail is delivered in bulk to the Stanford Post Office, where it is sorted by hand. The USPS Zip Code+4 is not the same as the “ID” mail code. Use “StanfordWho” to look up correct information for individuals.

d. Misaddressed Mail
Stanford Post Office carriers take undeliverable first-class mail with incorrect or insufficient addresses to the Information Section in the Registrar's Office, where efforts are made to locate the addresses. If located, the mail is forwarded in ID mail by Mail and Delivery Services (MDS). If not located, the mail is returned to the Post Office. Stanford Health Care mail services returns undeliverable mail to the Postal Carrier. Departments that receive mail for a person who has left should make a notation to that effect on the mail and return it to the sender.

e. U.S. Mail Bulk Mailing
(1) Permit 28—
To send bulk mail via USPS, it is economical to use the Stanford nonprofit mail Permit #28. Minimum requirements to qualify for nonprofit bulk mail postage rates are 500 pieces for First Class and 200 pieces or 50 pounds for Standard mail service. Contact an external mail preparation service to make arrangements for the mailing.  The mail preparation service vendor will take care of the required USPS paperwork and obtain the necessary signature from MDS. The selected vendor must have an approved service request (see below*) for use of the permit. The department requesting the service pays the postage via the PTA provided to MDS. There is an additional processing fee charged for this service.

*To utilize Permit #28, submit a Service Request:
1) Go to
2) Select “Mailing Services”
3) Select “Request for Mailing and Delivery Services”
4) Follow instructions provided
5) Give the generated request number to the appropriate mail preparation service vendor.                 

(2) Advance Planning—Departments are encouraged to call MDS for consultation early in the planning stages of a bulk mailing of U.S. Mail. Mailing requirements and cost estimates should be reviewed with MDS before the material is printed. Postal regulations and automation capabilities may affect the printing specifications and costs.
(3) Mail Preparation Services—Contact MDS for help in selecting a mailing preparation services vendor directly for mailing services such as folding, inserting, metering, etc. The department or the vendor should deliver the prepared materials respective postage statements to MDS for signature authorization before presenting the materials to the USPS for processing.
(4) Mailing Permit—Postal regulations require that the use of nonprofit postage permits must be reviewed and authorized by MDS.

Back to top

2. Interdepartmental Mail Services

a. Eligibility to Use Services
ID Mail Services are provided primarily for conveyance of messages concerning the University's official business. ID mail may be used between the various University departments and administrative units. All organizations with responsibility to the University may use Campus ID mail services, including Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU).

ID mail may be used to deliver general flyers concerning Stanford-related events or information.

ID mail may not be used to distribute commercial or partisan political advertising.

b. Distribution of Interdepartmental Mail
Three primary ID mail services are utilized at Stanford. Each mail room functions independently of each other.
(1) Campus Mail—Stanford ID Mail and Delivery Services (MDS) is located at 340 Bonair Siding, Stanford University.  Campus ID mail services delivers mail to the Stanford campus Monday through Friday. Primary daily delivery is between the hours of 8 am-12 pm. Afternoon service is available at an additional cost. “Will call” requests can also be accommodated through MDS.  All requests will be prioritized by the MDS Supervisor.  All questions should be directed to the Campus Mail Room at (650) 723-2261 or
(2) Medical Center Mail—All campus mail addressed to Medical Center departments is presorted by MDS. Mail is then picked up once a day by a courier from Stanford Health Care and re-sorted. Stanford Health Care mail services collects and delivers Campus ID mail at the Medical Center and Stanford Clinics twice a day. There is one delivery a day at the Hospital and the School of Medicine. Stanford Health Care mail services also delivers U.S. Mail. Mail for patients is delivered once a day. Medical inter-office mail is separate from Campus ID mail. All questions should be directed to the Medical Center Mail Room at (650) 723-5130.
(3) SLAC Mail—All mail that is addressed for delivery to SLAC is presorted at Campus MDS. At that point, mail is picked up once a day by a SLAC employee, re-sorted and delivered to SLAC departments. All questions should be directed to the SLAC Mail Room at (650) 926-2380.

c. Package Guidelines
ALL mail rooms follow the same packaging guidelines. The maximum size limit for packages is 50 lbs. or 2 cubic feet. For larger pickups and deliveries, MDS services will accommodate most mailing needs if the respective mail room is contacted at least one day in advance.

d. Inspection of Interdepartmental Mail
(1) Regular ID Mail—The MDS supervisor may open ID mail for inspection when the addressee cannot be determined.
(2) Mail Marked "Confidential"—ID mail marked "Confidential" may be opened only by the person to whom the mail is addressed. In cases where neither the intended addressee nor a return address can be determined, the MDS supervisor is authorized to open the mail with the intent to locate information for proper delivery.

e. ID Bulk Mailing
Mailings of 50 pieces fall into the category of a "bulk mailing." Envelopes, flyers, postcards and pamphlets received in mail code order qualify for delivery service that is free of charge. Mailing that are not in mail code order will require a PTA number to cover service charges for sorting.
(1) Lead Time Required—Turnaround time is 5 working days for mailings received in mail code order and 7 working days when not in mail code order. Departments should consider these turnaround times when preparing time sensitive or dated material.
(2) ID Bulk Mail Preparation—To send bulk mail via ID mail, MDS can provide the most recent mailing code information for faculty and staff. The listing is updated each month. Departments should prepare bulk items and then request a mail code listing from Arrange with an external mail preparation service to deliver the bulk mailing to the MDS loading dock at 340 Bonair Siding.

f. Properly Addressing Interdepartmental Mail
Address all mail completely and properly.
(1) Campus ID Mail: Include full name and mail code. Also include a return address.
(2) Medical Center: Full name, department, room number and mail code.
(3) SLAC: Full name and mail stop.

The “ID” mail code is not the same as USPS Zip Code+4. Use “StanfordWho” to look up correct information.

g. Department Moves
When a department is planning a move, the appropriate mail room should be contacted at least two weeks in advance to provide the department’s previous address, new location and the date the move goes in to effect, as well as any other pertinent details.

  • Mail and Delivery Services, (650) 723-2261
  • Medical Center Mail Room, (650) 723-5130
  • SLAC Mail Room, (650) 926-2380
  • Maps and Records, (650) 725-8472

Newly organized departments (or departments relocating to another area) should contact MDS for changes and information on campus mail delivery and mail code assignment.  A change in location might require a new mail code. Additionally, listings in “StanfordYou” must be updated with the correct mail code to ensure proper delivery and to prevent delays.

The department also needs to submit a Change of Address form to the Post Office. The Post Office might assign a new Zip+4 to the department. For questions regarding USPS Zip Code+4 codes and street addresses for newly activated buildings, contact Maps and Records. ID mail codes are NOT the same as USPS ZIP+4. If changes are anticipated, contact MDS.

h. Individual Moves
Change in work location for individuals should be entered by the department through PeopleSoft HRMS.

I. Mailing List Corrections
(1) MDS labels are generated from PeopleSoft HRMS and should be updated in “StanfordYou” by the individual. MDS is not authorized to make these changes.
(2) To “opt out” of a particular mailing, please contact the originator of the mailing.

Back to top

8.1.3 Provision of Mobile Equipment and Related Services

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This guide memo outlines policy on the provision of Equipment/Services. The policy requires that the employee's supervisor approve the Stanford business need for Equipment/Services. The policy establishes the responsibilities of the employee and the department regarding any personal use of Equipment/Services. Schools and departments may adopt stricter provisions. The policy sets further requirements regarding the use and maintenance of Equipment/Services.


Approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs and Chief Financial Officer.


This policy applies to all individuals who are provided with or are reimbursed for expenses relating to mobile phones, tablets (iPad), and like equipment ("Equipment"), and communications services (e.g., cellular and data services and Internet services) in support of such equipment ("Services") by Stanford. The policy also applies to supervisors and managers who approve these arrangements.

Group or shared Equipment/Services such as those used for rotating on-call contact are exempt from this policy.

Mobile equipment expenses are not normally chargeable to federally-funded sponsored projects or to state-funded projects subject to OMB 2 CFR 200 "Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements" Research Policy Handbook Section 15.4. The Office of Sponsored Research must approve exceptions when a proposal is submitted.

1. Background

The use of mobile phones, tablets, and similar devices, and related communication services by Stanford employees in the course of their work is common. Stanford often provides these devices to employees to improve communication, productivity and work efficiency, to facilitate telecommuting and remote working, working between multiple campus locations and to otherwise enhance the contributions of employees. Stanford policies generally require University property to be used only for Stanford business use. However, this policy recognizes that a portion of the use of Equipment/Services may be for non-business use, such as personal phone calls or emails.

As Internet service is a nearly ubiquitous household utility, similar to basic telephone service and electricity, the University generally does not provide reimbursement for home Internet connectivity. Employees who are required to have home Internet service to fulfill job requirements will be reimbursed for reasonable business use of their home internet service. Reimbursement of home internet expense, as described in this policy, must be approved by the responsible Vice Provost, Vice President, Dean, or his/her designee based on business necessity.

Back to top

2. Stanford Business Use

a. Stanford Business Use Required
Stanford's resources are constrained by donor, sponsor and budgetary restrictions. Expenditures for Equipment/Services must follow a strict approval process, tied to demonstrated business need, rather than as compensation in the form of the latest technological gadget. Frequent turnover of such Equipment is discouraged. The employee's supervisor will determine and approve the Stanford business necessity for providing Equipment/ Services to the employee, based upon the employee's job duties, budget availability and local policy, custom and practice. Simple convenience is not a criterion for providing mobile equipment or reimbursing related services. The approval process will include a review of all aspects of the Equipment/Services ensuring that they are provided at a minimum cost to Stanford consistent with the Stanford business requirements of the employee. 

b. Supervisory Approval
The supervisor (or designee) must approve the provision of the Equipment/ Services, following their customary school, business unit or department (hereinafter each referred to as the "Department") practice for documentation of pre-approval of a business expense. Annual review of the necessity of Equipment/Services provided to a supervisor's staff is strongly encouraged.

c. Business Necessity
Stanford business necessity occurs when one or more of these factors is present:

  • It is vital for the mobile employee to be in constant touch with the office, lab or medical facility.
  • The employee is responsible for emergency preparedness and must be available and on-call around-the-clock for a specific business period.
  • A group of employees has the need for group or shared Equipment/Services such as rotating on-call contact.
  • The employee does not have access to a landline or other communication device when doing a substantial portion of his or her job and communication with the supervisor or other Stanford business parties is required.
  • The Equipment/Services eliminate or reduce the need for the employee to go back and forth between the Stanford Campus and one or more Stanford Alternative Worksite (as defined in AGM, consistent with University goals to reduce traffic, benefit the environment and increase employee productivity.
  • Provision of Equipment/Services is the most cost-effective way to meet the business communication requirements of the employee.
  • The employee is a remote employee as defined by AGM 2.1.21.
  • Telecommuting, as defined in AGM 2.1.20 does not constitute business necessity and is not a factor considered in determining whether business necessity exists.

d. Personal Use of Equipment and Services
Provided that the Stanford business need for the service is significant and consistent over a substantial period of time, the personal use of Equipment/Services is not otherwise limited. However, the department and the employee's supervisor reserve the right to suspend provision of Equipment/Services in the case of excessive personal use.

Back to top

3. Proper Use and Selection

a. Mobile Equipment and Service Selection
The supervisor will determine the minimum cost Stanford IT service plan available, and the appropriate level of Equipment to be provided, considering the features needed for business use. When a Stanford IT cell/data and/or Stanford IT internet service plan is not appropriate, the department may provide a cell/data services stipend and/or home internet service stipend in the employee's paycheck to support the business use of the employee-provided Equipment/Services.

b. Use and Protection of University Provided Equipment and Services
Equipment paid for by Stanford is the property of the Stanford department that paid for it. When an employee leaves Stanford or transfers from one department to another, Equipment furnished to the employee must be returned to the issuing department. It is expected that Equipment paid for by Stanford, where appropriate and feasible, will be in the possession of the employee at all times and be functional during the employee's business day. Employees must take all necessary measures to protect the Equipment from theft or damage.

c. Laws and Policies Regulating Use of Equipment
The employee will be solely responsible for understanding and complying with all applicable laws and University policies relating to the use of Equipment/Services, including highway safety laws relating to cell phone and PDA usage, copyright laws, ergonomic use guidelines, privacy and security protocols and University export control and data security policies. See Guide Memo 6.3.1: Information Security.

d. Preference for Stanford IT-provided Equipment/Services
It is the responsibility of employees and their supervisors to make sure that Equipment purchased is appropriate for the technical support capabilities of the School or Department. Stanford IT-provided Equipment/Services should be used in nearly every case. The accumulation of campus-wide purchases enhances the buying power of Stanford IT and generally provides the lowest prices possible. A large common pool of Equipment is also easier for the University to maintain and account for.

e. Further Requirements of Particular Schools and Departments
Schools and Departments may establish local policies and procedures to further regulate or restrict the provision of Equipment/Services in their own units, if the University-wide policy is also followed.

Back to top

4. Implementation and Exceptions

a. Cell/Data Services
If the supervisor has determined that the Stanford IT cell/data plan is not appropriate for the services required by an employee based on business necessity, the department may provide a stipend in the employee's paycheck to support the business use of employee-provided mobile cell/data services.

b. Administration of the Cell/Data Services Paycheck Stipend
To receive a cell/data plan paycheck stipend, the Department HR Administrator may enter an employee cell phone supplement using the Supplemental Pay Webform with the Earnings Code of 'CEL'. The supplement may be entered to continue indefinitely, however, the business need for mobile Equipment/Services should be reviewed periodically by each employee's manager, or other financial staff in the business unit.

A template request form that should be used is available at Stanford's Gateway to Financial Activities. Employees may be approved to receive a supplement of up to $25 monthly.

c. Internet Services
If the supervisor has determined that business necessity exists for the employee to have home internet service, the department may provide a stipend in the employee's paycheck to support the business use of home internet services.

d. Administration of the Home Internet Equipment/Services Paycheck Stipend
With approval from the responsible manager and local senior human resources manager, or each of their respective designees, an employee for whom business necessity for home Internet service is shown may be approved to receive a stipend for reimbursement of reasonable business use of home internet service. The supplement may be entered to continue indefinitely, however, the business need for home internet service should be reviewed periodically by each employee's manager, or other financial staff in the business unit.

A template request form that should be used for documentation is available on Stanford's Gateway to Financial Activities. Employees may be approved to receive a supplement of up to $35 monthly.

Back to top

8.2.1 University Events

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This Guide Memo summarizes policy on University events held on University property. More detailed information is located at the Office of Special Events & Protocol.  


This Guide Memo was approved by the President.


This policy applies to all University faculty, staff and students.

1. Definition

A University event is an event, other than academic classes scheduled as part of the curriculum, that is held in a University building or outdoor space on the University campus. All such events that take place on the Stanford campus are considered University events. A University event must also be sponsored by an officially recognized Stanford department or organization and must be in keeping with the University's mission (i.e., the creation, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge).

Back to top

2. Types of University Events

NOTE: Some types of events may overlap. If you have questions, please contact the Stanford Events Office at: (650) 723-2551. Events must be consistent with the University's mission and must relate directly to the educational goals of the sponsoring department or organization. For events involving minors, see also Guide Memo 1.8.1: Protection of Minors and the Protection of Minors website.

  • Academic-related Event
    An academic-related activity that is NOT included in the established curriculum of quarterly classes listed at Stanford (e.g., special guest lecture series, panel discussion)
  • Administrative Event
    An administrative event, including a daily, weekly or occasional gathering and/or meeting by an official department or registered group that would not be open to the public, (e.g., a department faculty meeting, gathering of department staff, a student group board of directors meeting). The focus of these meetings is generally to discuss department or group business and/or do administrative planning. It may include professional training. These gatherings may also be social in nature (e.g., department luncheon, picnic, reception or holiday party).
  • High Impact Event
    An event that is large in scope, usually with an expected attendance of 500 people or more. Such events generally require coordination and review by several University departments and organizations (e.g., Stanford Events, Public Safety and Risk Management)
  • Campus Community Event
    An event open only to Stanford students, faculty and staff. This may also qualify as a High Impact, Invitation-only, Administrative or Academic-related event.
  • Public Event
    An event open to Stanford students, faculty, staff, and members of the public. A Public Event can also be considered an Academic-related Event and/or a High Impact Event.
  • Invitation-only Event
    An event open only to invited guests (e.g., University donor or alumni events, administrative or special-program events).

Back to top

3. Scheduling and Approval Process

The process of scheduling and seeking approval for University events must be started in advance. Those approving and planning events must follow all Stanford policies listed in this Guide Memo and at the Stanford Events website.

a. Organizations that May Request Use of Facilities
Organizations that may request use of University indoor and outdoor spaces and facilities for University events are:

  • Academic departments
  • Administrative offices
  • The Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU)
  • Voluntary student organizations that are registered with the University through the Office of Student Activities (OSA)
  • Student living groups
  • Any other organizations officially recognized by the President's Office

b. Most Facilities Usage Approvals
University events at all locations except those noted in section 3.c below must be scheduled and approved in advance by the Registrar's Scheduling Office, which will determine the availability of spaces and facilities and coordinate any necessary event approvals with the Stanford Events Director of Public Events.

c. Facilities Usage Requiring Other Approvals
To use the following facilities/spaces, follow the local approval process:

  • Administrative or Academic-related Events with a Department—Those department Administrative or Academic-related Events utilizing the already-established building space of that sponsoring department (e.g., GSB administrative staff having a weekly planning meeting in one of the Business School's classrooms, a special History Department panel discussion utilizing a History Department classroom) should follow the department's internal process.
  • Cantor Arts Center—Contact the Center directly to discuss use of interior and exterior museum spaces and docent tour arrangements for events.
  • DAPER Facilities—For an official athletic event sponsored by the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER) (e.g., football, basketball, baseball season games or special DAPER sponsored tournaments) contact DAPER and follow its approval process.
  • Student Residences Events—Events conducted in student residences by students residing in those residences are subject to the policies and procedures put forth by the Office of Student Activities (OSA).
  • Summer Conferences—The procedure for initiating requests for summer conference use of facilities is described in Guide Memo 8.2.2: Conferences.
  • (Applicable if the event is to be held between the conclusion of spring quarter and prior to the beginning of the following fall quarter.)
  • Tresidder Memorial Union—For the use of space located in the Tresidder Memorial Union building for conferences and special events for the campus community (and, in some cases, outside organizations); see the Room Reservations webpage.
  • Schwab Residential Center—Contact the Center directly for event reservations.
  • Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center—See the Alumni Center website for information.

Back to top

4. Other Information Sources

Back to top

8.2.2 Conferences

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This Guide Memo offers guidance to departments considering sponsoring a conference at Stanford.


This Guide Memo was approved by the President.


This policy applies to all conferences held on University property.

1. Conference Policy

a. Approval
Policies concerning conferences are the responsibility of the offices of the President and Provost. The President has delegated approval for specific events as indicated in Guide Memo 8.2.1: University Events, and in the Public Events Policy and Practice Manual described in Guide Memo 8.2.1For events involving minors, see also Guide Memo 1.8.1: Protection of Minors and the Protection of Minors website.

b. Relationship to University Program
University facilities may be used for conferences that are closely related to the University program. The University officer approving the event (either the Conference Services Manager or the Director of Stanford Events, as described in Guide Memo 8.2.1) determines whether the event is related to the University program. Conferences may be arranged by schools, departments, and other University organizations. Outside academic organizations such as professional societies, faculty groups, and certain student groups may hold conferences at Stanford. Business and professional organizations may hold conferences at Stanford if their programs relate to the academic activities of the University. Conference participants usually must be affiliated with the sponsoring organization or be invited by the organization to register and attend.

c. Sponsorship
Conferences must be sponsored by a school or department of the University. Outside organizations must obtain the sponsorship of an appropriate University dean or department head before requesting a conference.

d. Coordination Responsibility
Coordination of conferences is divided between two offices, depending on the date of the event:
(1) Summer conferences (June 16 through September 14): Conference Office
(2) Academic year conferences (September 15 through June 15): Stanford Events

Back to top

2. Conference Arrangements

a. Departmental Sponsor
The dean or department head of the school or department sponsoring a conference designates a faculty or staff member to represent the school or department as sponsor of the event. The initiation of the conference proposal, and all transactions with the conference organizers concerning arrangements, fees and curriculum are handled through the individual designated as departmental sponsor.

b. Conference Request
Sponsoring departments submit requests for approval through the office coordinating the conference (see 1.d above). A conference request should provide as much information as is known at the time the request is made, and should include the name of the sponsoring organization, its conference chair-person, proposed dates, length of the conference, estimated number of participants and, for summer conferences only, desired housing and food service.

c. Review Process
The Manager of Conference Services or the Director of Stanford Events reviews requests for open dates and available facilities, as well as to determine that meetings are consistent with the University's fundamental mission of teaching, research and public service.

d. Notifications
After a conference has been approved, the coordinating office notifies the department and sponsor and informs other University organizations as necessary.

e. Planning Session
The coordinating office arranges a planning session with the department sponsor and the organization's conference chairperson. Specific arrangements for meeting rooms, equipment, housing, food and related services are discussed at this meeting.

f. Conference Accounting
The sponsoring department identifies the need for opening any new accounts to record conference income and expense, and makes arrangements with the appropriate office to have these accounts set up.

Back to top

3. Conference Facilities

The coordinating office provides detailed information about meeting rooms, catering, equipment and other University services and facilities.

Back to top

4. Summer Housing

Summer housing in Stanford student residences is available to conferees, visitors and guests on the Sunday following commencement until approximately August 31. Accommodations include residence buildings with food service and one-, two-, and three-bedroom student apartments. Contact the Conference Office for detailed descriptions and information regarding restrictions, available space and current rates.

Back to top

8.3.1 Capital Projects

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This Guide Memo describes Stanford University policy on initiating academic facilities and infrastructure projects under the authority of Land, Buildings,and Real Estate (LBRE), including specific information on the allocation, siting and management of modular buildings, trailers and storage containers on campus. This Guide Memo also addresses University funding of capital projects, including the application of the Stanford Infrastructure Program (SIP) assessment and the General Use Permit (GUP) Entitlement Fee to fund mitigation costs arising from the approval of the December 2000 Community Plan and the General Use Permit.


This Guide Memo was approved by the Provost.


This policy applies to all University capital projects.

1. Facilities Project Initiation

a. Form 1 Required for Capital Projects
All requests for academic facilities and infrastructure projects on the Stanford University campus, where Stanford occupies or leases buildings off the campus are required to be submitted electronically on a Form 1 prior to the project's start. 

The Form 1 is required, but not limited, to the following types of academic projects, regardless of size, cost or funding source. A detailed list of project types requiring a Form 1 is available on the Land, Buildings and Real Estate website.

  • New construction, including construction or placement of temporary buildings intended for personnel occupancy
  • Renovation
  • Building demolitions
  • Interior building changes
  • Projects that affect building exteriors
  • Surge and relocation projects associated with a capital project
  • Landscape projects and reconfigurations
  • Land use projects
  • Projects requiring a jurisdictional permit and plan check. Projects requiring only over-the-counter permits may not require a Form 1
  • Projects undertaken and/or funded by Capital Utilities Program (CUP), (GUP) Entitlement Fee Program, Capital Facilities Fund (CFF), Facilities Reserve, and debt

The Form 1 applicability list is not exhaustive but is intended to capture a wide range of activities that are closely monitored by Stanford. In cases where ambiguity exists, with respect to Form 1 applicability and/or capitalization rules, it is the responsibility of the project initiator to seek clarification.

The following types of projects are exempted from the Form 1 process:

  • Properties and land designated for income production by the Board of Trustees
  • Non-capital and/or Board of Trustee approved capital projects managed by Stanford Health Care and SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory unless University funding or facilities are involved
  • Commercial and residential ground leases
  • Faculty staff housing rental purchases
  • Maintenance projects that do not include a capitalized component, and do not qualify under any of the criteria mentioned above

The Form 1 request process enables Land, Buildings, and Real Estate to:

  • Determine whether Board of Trustees approval is applicable
  • Evaluate program scope, justification and priority
  • Assess and confirm the funding resources that are available (through the Controller's Office)
  • Ensure that campus planning, code, architectural and aesthetic considerations are reviewed
  • Ensure that Stanford's Project Delivery Process is followed (see Project Delivery Process for detailed information on the process) 
  • Request a PTA (Project/Task/Award) setup in Oracle allowing contracts and expenditures to commence

b. Process
The Form 1 process is initiated by authorized local facilities representatives before a project begins, is then approved within the School/Department, and is finally submitted electronically on the Land, Buildings, and Real Estate website. Detailed approval guidelines, at various project cost levels, are outlined in detail on the Form 1 website.

Back to top

2. Modular Buildings and Trailers

a. New Modulars and Trailers
For reasons of cost effectiveness, sustainability and campus aesthetics, modulars and trailers are generally discouraged as a Stanford University building type. However, there are times when modulars are appropriate for temporary use on campus.

b. Process
Proposals to install new modulars and trailers need to be submitted using Capital Planning's Space Request Form and approved by the Provost. This form is required prior to initiating the Form 1 process, regardless of modular or trailer size, proposed length of use, purpose, cost, location, or source of funding. The cost and installation of new modulars and trailers generally are the responsibility of the local area.

Siting of all modulars and trailers must be approved by the Stanford University Architect/Planning Office.

Detailed policies on modular buildings and trailers can be found on the Capital Planning website.

Back to top

3. Storage Containers

a. Definition
Storage containers are freestanding metal boxes used for a variety of stored materials. They are centrally located in the storage container yard and adjacent area on Stock Farm Road. Locating containers in other areas of the campus must be approved in advance by the Stanford University Architect/Planning Office.

b. Process
Proposals for the installation of new containers and moving existing storage containers need to be submitted on Capital Planning's Space Request Form for approval by the Provost. This form is required prior to initiating the Form 1 process, regardless of container size, cost, proposed length of use or source of funding. The cost and installation of new containers is the responsibility of the local area. Units wishing to relinquish or move containers also must inform Capital Planning in advance. The cost and removal of containers is the responsibility of the local area.

Siting of all storage containers must be approved by the Stanford University Architect/Planning Office.

Detailed policies on storage containers can be found on the Capital Planning website.

Back to top

4. Stanford Infrastructure Program (SIP) Assessment

The Stanford Infrastructure Program (SIP) consists of campus planning and transportation projects and programs for the improvement and general support of the University's academic community, hospitals, and its physical plant. Program funding is generated by an internal fee levied on monthly expenditures of all academic and hospital capital projects, as described below. The program facilitates the construction of bicycle and pedestrian paths, lighting, outdoor art, campus transit, roads and parking lot infrastructure, connective elements, and other site improvements that directly supports the academic missions of teaching and research and the overall vitality of the institution. This infrastructure will be developed as necessary to improve public safety and service, and to promote conservation in land use and resources.

a. Assessment
A 4.6% SIP assessment is applied on all expenditures (excluding fees for SIP, GUP Entitlement, Below Market Rate Housing (BMR), and the Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD)) for capital projects (including new buildings, renovations, deferred maintenance and the CUP), regardless of amount, funding or management. 

For Stanford Health Care and Welch Road academic tenants in the City of Palo Alto, the SIP assessment is 2.3% on all expenditures (excluding fees for SIP, GUP Entitlement, Below Market Rate Housing (BMR), Palo Alto Union School District (PAUSD), computer hardware and software, medical equipment and furniture, and off-campus capital projects) for capital projects (including new buildings, renovations, deferred maintenance and CUP), regardless of amount, funding or management. The SIP percentage is lower for the aforementioned entities as they are required to provide and fund parking for their properties in the City of Palo Alto (i.e. SIP funds are unavailable in the City of Palo Alto).

No assessments will be taken on SIP-funded or GUP Entitlement Fee funded projects, or software application programs.

b. Project Eligibility
Any academic or auxiliary program may identify a need for a potential SIP project and seek SIP funding by submitting a project request to either the University Architect/Planning & Design office (SIP-C) or the Stanford Transportation office (SIP-T) as appropriate. Each request must represent a project that will provide benefits to more than a single campus user, group, or building and each will be evaluated against the following general criteria:

  • Improves the overall quality of the campus environment
  • Satisfies a particular academic or auxiliary program need
  • Reduces total capital and operating budget expenses
  • Fulfills a safety and/or security need
  • Relates to and supports campus planning objectives
  • Provides a renewal of a deteriorating infrastructure asset(s)
  • Responds to governmental agency requirements

c. More information
Detailed guidelines regarding SIP can be found in the Document Library on the LBRE website.

Back to top

5. General Use Permit (GUP) Entitlement Fee

The GUP Entitlement Fee provides funding for the mitigation of projects and programs (Conditions of Approval) required by Santa Clara County as a result of the December 2000 Community Plan and GUP approval. The projects and programs required include infrastructure and environmental resource studies, a comprehensive water conservation program, transportation demand management, habitat conservation, and consultant monitoring of mitigation compliance. Additionally, GUP Entitlement Fees fund the cost of roadway expansions, new parking, and expanded childcare facilities.

a. Assessment
A GUP Entitlement Fee is assessed on increases in School/Department gross square footage on the main campus regardless of total project value. Housing units are required as a component of the GUP and are thus excluded from the GUP Entitlement Fee.

The entitlement fee structure is based upon the present net value of projected mitigation costs, as described above. The fee will be set on a rolling three-year basis consistent with the Capital Plan and may be revised periodically. The forecasted rates for current and future GUP Entitlement Fees can be accessed on the Capital Projects Fees table.

b. Space Audit
Although increases in School/Department square footage typically result from the construction of a new building, a variety of other factors may impact the square footage calculation to derive net incremental program growth. Any project that results in additional square footage will be subject to a space audit to determine the total amount of growth. The audit will consider a combination of space movements, including, but not limited to, space demolitions, vacated and reassigned space, and inherited space.

All space changes are subject to the approval of the Provost.

Back to top

6. Funding Policy

All capital projects, regardless of total project budget, must have funding in hand or an approved backstopping plan prior to commencing construction. All capital project funding requests are initiated via the Form 1 process. Funding is transferred to an account established by the Controller’s Office. Form 1s may be approved by the Vice President of LBRE, or the Associate Vice President, Land and Buildings Academic Projects and Operations (up to a total project cost of $10 million). If the project was not approved in the Capital Plan and/or GUP square feet, central funding or centrally funded debt are requested, and were not previously allocated, the Form 1 must be routed to the Provost for approval. 

a. Capital Projects under $25 million

  • Capital projects that have a total capital project cost up to $15 million must obtain Concept and Construction Approval from the Vice President of LBRE.
  • Capital projects that have a total capital project up to $25 million must obtain Concept and Construction Approval from the Provost.
  • Capital projects presented to the Provost or the Vice President LBRE must have a final Funding Plan prior to the request for Concept Approval, and a final Funding Agreement prior to the request for Construction Approval.

The detailed Capital Project Approval Process and Related Funding Documentation Policy for capital projects less than $25 million can be found in the Document Library on the LBRE website.

b. Capital Projects over $25 million

If any of the following criteria are met, the project must go to the Board of Trustees for approval:

  • Construction, renovation or building improvements projects for academic use, on or within University-owned land, that have a financial commitment greater than $25 million;
  • are for the creation of new development on a previously undeveloped site;
  • or will result in the change in use of an existing site must obtain several levels of approval from the Committee on Land and Buildings of the Board of Trustees.

As documented in the Project Delivery Process, a percentage of the total project budget is transferred to the account by the Controller’s Office at each Board-required approval. Approval levels include Concept, Project, and Construction for building renovations; and Concept/Site, Design, and Construction for renovations, and Concept and Site, Design, and Construction for new buildings. All projects presented to the Committee on Land and Buildings must have an executed Funding Plan prior to the request for Concept Approval, and an executed Funding Agreement no later than the request for Construction Approval.

Infrastructure programs with program funding identified (e.g., the CUP, SIP, GUP Entitlement Fee program) generally do not need separate funding plans and agreements; however, individual projects exceeding $25 million may require approval from the Board of Trustees.

The Funding Plan outlines the benchmarked project budget, the planned funding sources, and the estimated amounts from each funding source; addresses the budget responsibility for finance charges during construction, as well as debt servicing or gift backstopping provisions after construction completion; addresses restrictions on the use of tax-exempt debt; documents O&M impacts and unit responsible, and stipulates if a project is subject to a GUP Entitlement Fee. Funding Plans are subject to revision if the project experiences significant changes in project scope or budget during the design phase.

The Funding Agreement supersedes the Funding Plan when the project returns to the Committee on Land and Buildings of the Board of Trustees for Construction Approval documenting final components listed in the previous paragraph.

The detailed Capital Project Funding Plans and Agreements Policy can be found in the Document Library on the LBRE website.

Back to top

7. Sources of More Information



Back to top

8.4.1 Vehicle Acquisition, Ownership and Disposition

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This Guide Memo discusses the administrative procedures for acquisition, ownership and disposition of University vehicles. Additional information is available at


Approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs and Chief Financial Officer, and the Vice President for Land, Buildings and Real Estate.


Applies to all motor vehicles, boats, golf cart-type vehicles and trailers owned, leased or otherwise acquired by the University ("University vehicles").

Exception: Government-owned SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (SLAC) vehicles are covered under a separate SLAC policy. Except for Section 6, "Insurance," SLAC vehicles are exempt from this policy.

1. Use of University Vehicles

University vehicles may be used only in connection with official University activities. See Guide Memo 8.4.2: Vehicle Use.

Back to top

2. Administrative Responsibilities

a. Academic or Administrative Organization
The academic or administrative organization ("organization") acquiring the vehicle is responsible for:

  • All charges associated with the vehicle, including loan or lease payments, maintenance, repairs, fuel, insurance, DMV fees, fines and penalties. Exception: Fines and penalties for infractions of the law are the personal responsibility of the driver. See Guide Memo 8.4.2: Vehicle Use.
  • Identifying a fleet manager in the organization ("local fleet manager") who will ensure compliance with this Guide Memo and with Guide Memo 8.4.2: Vehicle Use.

b. Local Fleet Manager
The local fleet manager is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that the vehicle is properly operated and maintained.
  • Keeping the vehicle and its keys secure and accounted for.
  • Maintaining the correct inventory record in the Sunflower Assets System.
  • Providing current vehicle information and contact information to the Fleet Garage for entry into the Land, Buildings and Real Estate (LBRE) maintenance management record-keeping system (see Section 2.b below).

c. Fleet Garage
The Supervisor of the Fleet Garage ("Garage Supervisor") is responsible for:

  • Developing and maintaining a list of vehicle-selection criteria, including minimum standard safety features, prohibited luxury features and sustainability considerations, and making the list readily available to local fleet managers and other Stanford community members. This list is maintained at
  • Developing specifications for each vehicle procurement request (see Section 4.c).
  • Processing Department of Motor Vehicles Registration Certificates for all street-legal vehicles.
  • Performing or supervising the maintenance and repair of vehicles, including recall notices (see Section 7).
  • Notifying the organization of charges for maintenance, repairs, fuel, insurance, DMV fees, fines and penalties.
  • Keeping accurate records in the LBRE maintenance management record-keeping system of vehicle inventory information, contact information, preventive maintenance schedules, repairs, recalls and all vehicle-related charges to academic and administrative organizations.
  • Assisting in the vehicle disposal process (see Section 9).

d. Purchasing
The Purchasing Office negotiates prices for, issues purchase orders for and purchases vehicles costing more than $25,000 on receipt of an organization's requisition that meets the requirements of Section 4.

e. Risk Management
Risk Management handles insurance matters for University vehicles.

f. Controller's Office
The Controller's Office administers University financing for vehicles.

g. Property Management Office (PMO)
PMO provides inventory tools and assists with vehicle disposal.

Back to top

3. Vehicles Acquisition Methods

A University organization may acquire a new or used vehicle using any of the following methods:

a. Acquisition with University Funds
Vehicles may be purchased or leased with regularly budgeted general funds, as with any purchase of capital equipment. If a purchase is financed, University policy requires that the purchase price be amortized over the useful life of the vehicle. See Guide Memo 5.2.1: Financing of Purchases.

b. Acquisition with Government Funds
Vehicles may be acquired with funds provided by a U.S. government contract or grant if its terms permit. The procedures in Section 4 apply.

c. Acquisition by Gift
Vehicles may be given to the University. The organization must record the donation in the Sunflower Assets System. See Guide Memo 4.2.3: Records of Donated Equipment.

d. Acquisition through Surplus Property Sales
Vehicles may be acquired through Surplus Property Sales using the procedures in Section 4.

e. Transfer
Transfers within or between academic and administrative organizations are at the discretion of the organization(s) involved. They may also occur when one organization releases a vehicle to the Fleet Garage that meets another organization's needs (see Section 9.b.1).

Back to top

4. Vehicle Acquisition Process

a. Business Purpose for Vehicle
Each vehicle acquired shall meet a valid University business purpose. Valid University business purpose for acquiring golf cart-type vehicles is limited to: 1) transporting personnel, equipment or supplies on campus for University purposes; 2) transporting employees or students with temporary or permanent disability-related needs; or 3) transporting members of the Stanford community using 5-SURE Security Escorts.

b. Replacement Schedule
As a general guide, a vehicle should be considered for replacement on a seven-year or 60,000-mile basis, whichever comes first. Medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, as defined by the California Health & Safety Code, may be retained over a longer term.

c. Development of Specifications
Each organization considering the acquisition of a vehicle must provide the valid business purpose for the vehicle to the Garage Supervisor. The Garage Supervisor provides mechanical specifications based on the business purpose and provides a cost estimate.

d. Requisition
To purchase or lease a vehicle not owned by the University, the requesting organization prepares an online requisition that includes the following approvers: 1) the Garage Supervisor; and 2) the appropriate dean, department head or other authorized signer. If the total cost of the vehicle exceeds $25,000, the requesting organization forwards the specifications and price estimates prepared by the Garage Supervisor to Purchasing, which issues a purchase order for the vehicle. See Guide Memo 5.3.1: Requisition Processing.

e. Suitability of Surplus Vehicles
If an organization is contemplating acquiring a University vehicle from Surplus Property Sales, the organization should consult with the previous local fleet manager and the Garage Supervisor for information on the vehicle's condition, and should have the consent of the Garage Supervisor before acquiring the vehicle. If the vehicle is suitable for use, an interdepartmental transfer takes place. The acquiring organization compensates Surplus Property Sales for any expenses it has incurred.

f. Preference for Electric and Alternative-Fuel Vehicles
The Fleet Garage recommends electric and alternative-fuel vehicles whenever possible. Before purchasing an electric vehicle, the organization should contact LBRE/Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) and University Architect/Campus Planning & Design (UA/CPD) to determine the location of the nearest charging station.

g. Reducing Number of Vehicles
Organizations with multiple vehicles should explore the feasibility of placing them in an organization-wide motor pool to reduce their number of vehicles. Organizations with limited need for vehicles may establish an account with the car-sharing company on campus or may collaborate with neighboring organizations to establish regional motor pools. The Fleet Garage can assist with the establishment of motor pools.

Back to top

5. Placing a Vehicle Into Service

Every vehicle acquired by any organization must be delivered to the Fleet Garage before the organization uses it.

a. Registration
All street-legal vehicles, including street-legal golf cart-type vehicles, must be registered with the DMV. Vehicles are registered at the dealership in the name of The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University and using the address of the Fleet Garage. The Fleet Garage will assist in registering vehicles purchased outside of California. Exception: Vehicles purchased with government funds and for which the sponsor retains title are registered in the name of the government agency that supplied the funds, in care of the Board of Trustees.

b. Inspection
The Garage Supervisor inspects the vehicle to ensure specifications are met. If the vehicle is used, the Garage Supervisor determines whether it needs any immediate maintenance.

c. Inventory
The Garage Supervisor assigns the vehicle a University fleet number and tags the vehicle with a Stanford University property tag. The Garage Supervisor enters the fleet number and property tag number into the LBRE maintenance management record-keeping system. When the organization receives the vehicle, it enters the fleet number and property tag number into the Sunflower Assets system. If the vehicle is transferred to another organization within the University, the fleet number and property tag number do not change. The organization receiving a transferred vehicle updates the numbers in the Sunflower Assets system. The numbers are retired when the vehicle is disposed of.

d. Sign
The Garage Supervisor instructs the Sign Shop to apply a Stanford University logo and, where applicable, the name of the organization on the vehicle. This is the only sign permitted on the vehicle; others will be removed at the organization's expense. Exceptions: Specialized markings are permitted on Marguerite shuttles and Department of Public Safety vehicles. The Garage Supervisor may authorize additional exceptions.

Back to top

6. Insurance

Risk Management immediately obtains public liability insurance on all newly acquired University vehicles, including those where title is in the name of a government agency, in care of the Board of Trustees. Exception: Stanford's Marguerite shuttle buses are insured by the shuttle service provider. Insurance policies are renewed for all vehicles owned at the beginning of the fiscal year (September 1), and the organization is billed accordingly.

Back to top

7. Maintenance

a. Role of Fleet Garage
The Fleet Garage performs or approves all maintenance and repairs for University vehicles that are regularly housed within 15 miles of campus. The organization must get written approval in advance from the Fleet Garage to use another service provider. When approved to use another service provider, the organization must ensure the maintenance is performed in a timely manner and provide the Fleet Garage with written records of the maintenance within one week of its completion. The Fleet Garage provides maintenance guidelines for vehicles serviced off campus, including all vehicles housed more than 15 miles from campus.

b. Preventive Maintenance
Organizations must ensure that internal combustion vehicles receive preventive maintenance inspections every four months. Organizations must make electric vehicles available in the field for monthly inspections and ensure that they receive annual preventive maintenance inspections at the Fleet Garage. The Fleet Garage notifies the organization of required periodic preventive maintenance appointments.

c. Other Maintenance
The organization must keep its vehicles clean. Body damage must be repaired promptly by making arrangements with the Fleet Garage.

d. Disabled Vehicles
If a vehicle becomes disabled, the organization must notify the Fleet Garage immediately.

e. Recalls
The Fleet Garage receives manufacturers' recall notices and notifies the organization of recalls. The organization must make arrangements with the Fleet Garage to have recalls addressed.

f. Consequences of Failure to Maintain
If the organization fails to have maintenance or repairs performed on a vehicle after a second notice from the Fleet Garage, the Fleet Garage may retrieve the vehicle from the organization to perform the maintenance or repairs.

Back to top

8. Fuel

a. Gas and Oil
Whenever possible, organizations should obtain gas and oil for University vehicles at the University's service station at the rear of Bonair Siding. If a University vehicle is taken on an extended business trip, gasoline credit cards may be issued on the authorization of the Director of  Operations (Buildings and Grounds Maintenance).

b. Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
PTS, in coordination with the UA/CPD,  is responsible for identifying appropriate locations for charging stations and their installation. New facilities should identify locations for vehicle-charging stations during planning.

Back to top

9. Disposition of Vehicles

a. Disposition Process
An organization disposing of a vehicle must process an Excess Request in the Sunflower Assets System and deliver the vehicle to the Fleet Garage. PMO processes the Excess Request and the Fleet Garage updates the LBRE maintenance management record-keeping system according to the ultimate disposition method for the vehicle.

b. Disposition Methods

1) Transfer Within the University
If the vehicle is roadworthy and is expected to have sufficient useful life remaining to benefit another organization, the Garage Supervisor examines vehicle acquisition requests to see if the vehicle meets another organization's needs. If the Garage Supervisor is able to arrange a transfer of the vehicle, he or she notifies PMO, which ensures that the appropriate Department Property Administrator(s) are notified and the property records updated. PMO also terminates the Excess Request. If the vehicle is leased, the organization must notify the Department of Capital Accounting in the Controller's Office, which ensures that the remaining lease payments are properly charged.

2) Disposition Through Surplus Property Sales
If the vehicle is roadworthy and is not being transferred within the University, the Fleet Garage retires the vehicle from the University fleet, sends it to Surplus Property Sales to be sold and, upon sale, notifies DMV. The portion of the proceeds representing return of capital is credited to the University account that financed the purchase. Any gain realized by the organization from the sale is credited to the account used in the acquisition of the replacement vehicle, or to the general organization operating account if the vehicle is not replaced.

If an organization acquires a vehicle from Surplus Property Sales, the vehicle is returned to the Fleet Garage to have a University logo and the old fleet number reaffixed. The original property tag remains intact.

3) Scrap
If the vehicle is not roadworthy, the Fleet Garage arranges for it to be scrapped, forwards the appropriate junk slips to DMV and notifies PMO to ensure proper record retirements can take place.

c. Special Cases

1) Government-owned Vehicles
If title to the vehicle is held by a government agency in care of the Board of Trustees, the organization must contact PMO for information on disposal options. See Guide Memo 5.2.4: Surplus Property Sales.

2) Donated Vehicles
If the vehicle was donated to the University, the organization must contact PMO for information on disposal options. See Guide Memo 4.2.3: Records of Donated Equipment.

3) Leased Vehicles
Unless a leased vehicle is being transferred within the University, the Fleet Garage returns the vehicle to the lessor and notifies PMO to have the records retired. The organization must satisfy the lease contract terms, including all remaining payments.

4) Vehicles with Active Loans
If the vehicle is under the terms of a University financial loan, the organization must notify the Department of Capital Accounting in the Controller's Office of the disposition. The Department of Capital Accounting ensures that the remaining loan payments are properly charged.

Back to top

8.4.2 Vehicle Use

Last updated on:
Formerly Known As Policy Number: 

This Guide Memo outlines policies on the authorized use and operation of vehicles in connection with official University activities. Additional information is available at


Approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs & Chief Financial Officer.


Applies to all faculty, staff, students, volunteers and others authorized to drive in connection with official University activities ("authorized drivers").


  1. The use of government-owned SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (SLAC) vehicles is covered under a separate SLAC policy. SLAC vehicles may not be used for official University activities and are therefore exempt from this policy. This policy does apply to the use of University, personal or rented vehicles on SLAC business.
  2. The use of Stanford University Golf Course golf carts on the golf course is exempt from this policy.

1. Driver Authorization

a. Requirements
A driver may operate a vehicle in connection with official University activities only if he or she meets all of the following criteria:

  • Is using the vehicle for a valid business purpose.
  • Meets the driver's license requirements of Section 1.b below.
  • Has signed all applicable agreements described in Section 1.d below.
  • Is 21 years of age or older. If there is no alternative driver, an individual who is age 18 or over may drive a vehicle in connection with an official University activity with the approval of the applicable academic or administrative organization ("organization").
  • Completes the vehicle sign-out records described in Section 3.c below when driving University vehicles as defined in Guide Memo 8.4.1: Vehicle Acquisition, Ownership and Disposition.
  • Meets the insurance requirements described in Section 7.b below when driving personal vehicles.

b. Driver's License
(1) License Requirement

Each person who drives a vehicle in connection with official University activities must have a valid California driver's license.

a) An authorized driver who is conducting official University activities outside of California may have a driver's license from that jurisdiction.
b) Enrolled students with a valid driver's license from their state or other jurisdiction of residence and any other driver with a valid driver's license from other jurisdictions who is permitted to drive using such license under California laws.

(2) Loss of License/Change in Status
Authorized drivers are prohibited from driving in connection with official University activities if their license is revoked, suspended or expired, or their driving privileges are otherwise restricted. Employees who drive in connection with official University activities are required to report a change in driver's license status immediately to their supervisors. Non-employees must report a change in driver's license status to the organization on whose behalf they are authorized to drive.

c. Driving as a Job Requirement
(1) Include Driving in Job Descriptions

Jobs that require driving University vehicles shall include in the job description: a) the driving requirement, and b) the necessity to possess and maintain the appropriate driver's license.
(2) Employees Who Are Unable to Drive
If an employee's job requires the employee to drive a University vehicle as part of his/her duties and the employee's license is suspended or restricted in a way that prevents the performance of driving duties, the employee will be subject to termination and the University will have no obligation to transfer the employee to another position. Exception: The University will meet any obligation to reasonably accommodate a disability.

d. Signed Agreements
Employees who drive University vehicles and employees who drive personal vehicles in connection with official University activities more than 20 hours per month, must complete and sign all of the following before driving in connection with official University activities:
(1) A written agreement to comply with all provisions of this policy and all provisions of Guide Memo 2.2.8: Controlled Substances and Alcohol, available here.  
(2) Risk Management's Driver Authorization Forms and the DMV's Employer Pull Notice Program Authorization for Release of Driver Record Information. These forms are available at the Risk Management Department
(3) The organization's vehicle use procedures.

Back to top

2. Local Fleet Manager

a. Designation
Each organization that uses vehicles in connection with official University activities will identify a local fleet manager. The local fleet manager will ensure compliance with the organization's vehicle use procedures, this Guide Memo and Guide Memo 8.4.1: Vehicle Acquisition, Ownership and Disposition for all vehicles used by the organization.

b. Establishing Vehicle Use Procedures
The local fleet manager will establish a written procedure for the organization that describes who may drive vehicles in connection with the organization's official University activities and under what circumstances. This procedure may be more restrictive than this Guide Memo, but may not be less restrictive.

c. Maintaining Drivers' Records
The local fleet manager will obtain and maintain copies of all signed agreements listed under Section 1.d above. Driver's license numbers are High Risk Data, as defined by the Information Security Office, and must be stored in a secure, locked location.

d. Confirming Status of Driver's Licenses
Unless the University has enrolled a driver in the DMV's Employer Pull Notice Program, the local fleet manager will confirm annually that
employees who drive University vehicles and employees who drive personal vehicles in connection with official University activities more than 20 hours per month do not have expired, revoked, suspended or restricted drivers licenses.

e. Monitoring Sign-out Records
At least monthly, the local fleet manager will review the organization's sign-out records described in Section 3.c to ensure that University vehicles are being used only for business purposes.

Back to top

3. Use of University Vehicles

a. Official Trips Only
University vehicles may be used only in connection with official University activities. Except for authorized overnight trips as described in Section 3.b, University vehicles may not be used for personal or other incidental trips at any time.

b. Overnight Trips
University vehicles may only be taken home at night or used on overnight trips with prior written approval by the head of the organization or his/her designee, including approval of the specific business purpose for such use of the vehicle.

c. Sign-out Records
Each organization will maintain records that track University vehicle usage, and each driver must complete the records each time he/she checks out a vehicle. The records shall include the name of the driver, the times the vehicle was checked out and returned, and the specific business purpose for using the vehicle. Exception: The organization may use a different procedure to maintain appropriate records of University vehicles assigned to a single employee for his or her exclusive use.

d. Maintenance Needs
Drivers of University vehicles shall report all vehicle damage and problems with the vehicle's operation to the local fleet manager immediately. University policies on maintenance and fuel are set forth in Guide Memo 8.4.1: Vehicle Acquisition, Ownership and Disposition.

e. Smoking Prohibited
Smoking is not allowed in University vehicles at any time.

Back to top

4. Use of Golf Cart-Type Vehicles

In addition to the other provisions in this Guide Memo, the following provisions apply to the use of golf cart-type vehicles.

a. Valid Business Purpose
Valid business purpose for golf cart-type vehicles is limited to:

  • Transporting personnel/equipment/supplies for University purposes.
  • Transporting employees/students with temporary or permanent disability-related needs.
  • Transporting members of the Stanford community using 5-SURE Security Escorts.

Student use of golf cart-type vehicles for personal transportation, other than for disability-related need or 5-SURE Security Escorts, is prohibited on campus.

b. Approved Areas on Campus
Operation of golf cart-type vehicles is limited to designated streets and paths on the University campus. See the University's Service and Delivery Map for approved routes. 

c. Prohibited Areas on Campus
Golf cart-type vehicles may not be operated on landscaped or other unpaved surfaces. The following areas are off-limits:

  • Inner quad courtyard of the Main Quad complex.
  • All covered arcades (e.g., in the Main Quad, Green Library, Old Union).

Exception: Use of golf cart-type vehicles in these restricted areas is permitted in cases of medical need and for deliveries if no other access is available. Use of golf cart-type vehicles is also permitted on unpaved surfaces at Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve, as permitted by the Jasper Ridge Administrative Director.

d. Parking
Parking is allowed only on hard, covered surfaces (e.g., asphalt, concrete, brick). The following are prohibited:

  • Parking on soft surfaces such as landscaping, unpaved surfaces, tanbark-covered areas or within the drip line of any tree, unless those areas are specifically marked as golf-cart parking.
  • Blocking entrances to buildings, stairways, disability ramps or main thoroughfares.
  • Chaining vehicles to trees.

If the vehicle becomes disabled and is parked in an improper location, the driver should leave a note on the vehicle indicating its problem to alert Public Safety that the vehicle is receiving attention.

e. Operation off Campus
The local fleet manager must approve the off-campus use of golf cart-type vehicles. The driver must be familiar with the California Vehicle Code provisions governing the operation of golf cart-type vehicles on municipal streets, or contact Public Safety for information.

f. Speed Limits
Drivers shall not exceed speed limits for motorized vehicles, and must reduce speed in pedestrian areas. In crowded pedestrian areas, drivers must park vehicles or proceed at a slow walking pace, if safe.

g. Passenger Limit and Load Capacity
Drivers shall not exceed the passenger limit and load capacity designated by the vehicle's manufacturer.

h. Safety
Drivers and passengers must keep their head, legs and arms within the passenger compartment.

i. Charging
Electric vehicles will be recharged only at locations designated for such use. Use of extension cords from inside buildings to vehicles is prohibited.

j. Enforcement
Public Safety enforces the laws and policies governing operation of golf cart-type vehicles and may cite drivers for violations. Improperly parked vehicles may be ticketed, towed, "booted" or otherwise disabled by Public Safety.

Back to top

5. Safety

a. General
Vehicles may not be operated in a manner that may endanger passengers or other individuals or harm Stanford University.

b. No Operation of Unsafe Vehicles
Vehicles with a known safety-related problem may not be operated in connection with official University activities.

c. Seat Belt Requirement
The driver and all passengers must wear seat belts, except in golf cart-type vehicles that are not equipped with them.

d. Tying Down Tools
All tools being transported in a University vehicle must be secured.

Back to top

6. Accidents

a. Initial Accident Reports
Drivers must report all accidents involving University vehicles or personal or rented vehicles being used in connection with official University activities as soon as possible to local law enforcement and to the driver's supervisor. For on-campus accidents, the Department of Public Safety is the appropriate law enforcement agency. Injuries that need prompt medical attention must be reported to 911.

b. No Admission of Liability
The driver shall not jeopardize the University's position regarding its insurance by admitting fault or liability, nor shall any reimbursement or other payment be offered or made. The driver is expected to cooperate with any internal investigation of the accident.

c. Information to Gather
At the time of the accident, the driver must note the following information and give it to his or her supervisor:

  • Nature and extent of the damage to vehicles and other property.
  • Name and address of the legal owner of the other vehicle or vehicles, if any.
  • Name, address, driver's license number and state, and date of birth of the driver of the other vehicle or vehicles, if any.
  • License number, make and model of the other vehicle or vehicles, if any.
  • Name of the insurance company of any other driver or drivers, policy number and expiration date, and policy holder's name and address.
  • Time, place and date of the accident.
  • Names and addresses of anyone injured and description of injuries.
  • Names and addresses of any passengers and other witnesses.

d. Supervisor's Responsibilities
The driver's supervisor is responsible for reporting the information gathered in Section 6.c to Risk Management. (See Guide Memo 7.6.1: Accident and Incident Reporting.

e. Medical Costs
Faculty and staff who have been authorized to drive in connection with official University activities may be eligible for Workers' Compensation benefits, including costs of medical treatment, hospitalization and partial compensation for time lost from work. (See Guide Memos 2.1.7: Sick Time, and 2.3.5: Disability and Family Leaves.

Back to top

7. Insurance

a. University Vehicles
Stanford's liability insurance program provides protection to authorized drivers of University vehicles. Stanford self-insures for collision, fire, theft and liability. When an accident is due to an authorized driver's negligence, the organization usually pays the first $1,000 in vehicle repair costs. See Guidelines for University Vehicles, Rentals, Accident Reporting and Personal Vehicles

b. Personal Vehicles
(1) Required Insurance

Individuals who drive personal vehicles more than 20 hours per month in connection with official University activities must have the following minimum insurance coverage: bodily injury coverage of $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident and $100,000 for property damage, or $300,000 combined single limit. (Note: These minimum insurance coverages are strongly recommended for individuals who drive personal vehicles in connection with official University activities less than 20 hours per month.) Any other individual driving a personal vehicle in connection with official University activities must have the minimum insurance coverage required by the jurisdiction in which the vehicle is registered. Proof of insurance must be provided upon request.
(2) Excess Liability Coverage
If an authorized driver has the minimum insurance required in Section 7.b.1, Stanford's liability insurance policy program may provide excess liability insurance protection to the driver while he/she is using a personal vehicle in connection with official University activities. The driver's insurance is primary and must be used before the University's insurance program will defend or pay any claim.
(3) Coverage Limitations
Stanford does not provide any insurance protection for fire, theft, collision or other loss or damage to personal vehicles. Individuals who use their vehicles frequently in connection with official University activities should consult with their insurance agent or broker to make sure their insurance meets their needs. The organization will pay the deductible for damage to a personal vehicle used in connection with official University activities, up to $1,000.

c. Rented Vehicles
For rented vehicles, including vehicles rented from a car-sharing service for local use, drivers must obtain or decline the rental car company's additional insurance according to the requirements of Guide Memo 5.4.2: Business and Travel Expenses. The rental agency's insurance, if obtained, must first be used before Stanford's insurance becomes applicable. Organizations are not required to pay any costs for loss or damage to rented vehicles or for liability.

d. Business Travel Accident Insurance
If an employee is engaged in the performance of authorized travel for the University and the accident results in the employee's death, dismemberment or permanent total disability, the University's business travel accident insurance may apply. (See Guide Memo 2.3.1: Survivor Benefit Plans.

Back to top

8. Compliance with Applicable Laws and Regulations

All parties covered by this policy must comply with and follow all requirements of the California Vehicle Code or other applicable vehicle code, and all other applicable regulations. Fines or penalties for infractions of the law, including parking tickets, are the personal responsibility of the driver for which the University assumes no obligation.

Back to top

9. Violations of this Policy

Failure to follow this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

Back to top

a. Guide Memo 8.4.1: Vehicle Acquisition, Ownership and Disposition.

b. Guide Memo 2.2.8: Controlled Substances and Alcohol.

c. Guide Memo 7.6.1: Accident and Incident Reporting.

d. Guide Memo 5.4.2: Business and Travel Expenses.

e. Use of Golf Cart-Type Vehicles at Stanford University

f. Safety Guidelines: Operation of Rented or Personally-Owned Golf Cart-Type Vehicles by Authorized Visitors, Alumni or Contractors

g. The policies identified in Sections 1, 4, 6 and 7 of this Guide Memo 8.4.2.

Back to top