Formerly Known As Policy Number: 15.6
Documents produced, received or filed in connection with Stanford's business activities are the property of the University.
Applicability: This policy applies to all Stanford business documents.
Purpose: The purpose of this policy is to reiterate the University's ownership of business documents.
1. Document Ownership Policy
Documents produced, received or filed in connection with Stanford's business activities may be considered the property of the University. For purposes of this policy, the word "document" includes any memorialization of a communication, whether by paper, film, video, audio, electronic or other media. Also for purposes of this policy, the term "business activities" includes administration of a department, school, laboratory, office or other entity of the University (for example, a safety inspection conducted by a member of a dormitory staff would be a "business activity").
2. Further Information
Questions regarding application and implementation of this policy may be directed to the Legal Office.
3. Related Policies
The following policies are available online:
- Research Policy Handbook Document 9.2: Copyright Policy
- Research Policy Handbook Document 4.1: Faculty Policy on Conflict of Commitment and Interest
- Guide Memo 1.5.1: Political Activities
- Guide Memo 1.5.2: Staff Policy on Conflict of Commitment and Interest
- Guide Memo 2.1.3: Personnel Files and Data